Spring is finally here, and for many of us, the change of the seasons inspires action. We tidy up our homes and our lawns, throwing away the junk we don’t need to remove the clutter from our lives and begin anew.
While the actual process of removing all traces of garbage and debris from your home is an arduous one, once it’s finished, the results speak for themselves. After spring cleaning:
- You know where everything is. Say goodbye to spending 15 minutes trying to figure out where you put your favorite pair of shoes.
- You’re less stressed, as you’re no longer surrounded by clutter and chaos (and don’t have to track down said shoes). When you’re less stressed, you’re more productive.
- You can enjoy your home and appliances longer, as they’re properly cared for. You can’t expect your yard to look nice if you don’t spend any time on its upkeep.
If spring cleaning works wonders in your personal life, it might be time to ask yourself whether your small business is due for some freshening up in its own right. Here are five tips you can employ to tidy up your organization:
- Organize your inbox. Ever spent even five minutes more than you’d like to searching for an important email from a client? Talk about a productivity killer. Spring is the perfect time to unsubscribe from unnecessary email lists, turn off automatic email notifications and set up appropriate folders and labels. Believe it or not, even the dirtiest of inboxes can be cleaned up in about 20 minutes.
- Go through your filing cabinets. Chances are you’ve not yet virtualized your entire Spring is a great time to spend a couple hours going through your filing cabinets to throw out unnecessary material and track down critical documents. Here’s a great primer on reorganizing file cabinets should you need some inspiration.
- Make sure your office looks professional. You won’t be productive if your workspace is cluttered—it’s as simple as that. In addition to conveying an overall more professional appearance, organizing your office is a great way to reduce stress, figure out how to work more efficiently and find that elusive document you’ve been searching for since last fall.
- Take care of your unpaid invoices. Are you having a problem with your cash flow? If so, you wouldn’t be alone. The good news is that you can make the stack of unpaid invoices collecting dust on your desk disappear by partnering with Fundbox. We help small business owners, freelancers and service providers fix their cash flows by advancing payments on outstanding invoices for a small fee. (Here’s how it works.)
- Evaluate your technology. Is your business still relying on legacy telephony or clunky old fax machines to get the job done? Do your employees have the tools they need to succeed no matter where they happen to be? If your business has not yet taken advantage of IP telephony or cloud computing, now’s as good a time as any to reassess your technological infrastructure. By investing in modern technology, you’re assured to realize considerable returns down the road, particularly as workers become increasingly mobile.
Ready for more?
Apply for funding and find out if you qualify today